Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Fashion Industry Insider



Last week I was in Milan and this week it has all been on the phone. Making appointments by phone is my absolute pet hates and talking to other agents there seems to be common agreement among us that this is the worst job we have to do. I absolutely love meeting and talking to boutique owners but when I call them I never know what sort of day they are having and can’t make eye contact, which is an obvious disadvantage. Next week I will be on the high ways and byways of Ireland, calling to my customers and seeing what is happening on the ground. With the sales in full swing it’s a busy time for owners. All of us in the Fashion business have one foot in the present and the other firmly in the future. Plans are well advanced for the coming selling season with all the ranges due into the showroom during the month of August and September. Jaeger London, which has been one of the biggest UK success stories, arrives into the showroom on August 3 for 10 days only which means that all the appointments have to run like clockwork. We Irish are not known for our time keeping and each season I become a juggler moving appointments around to make sure all the buyers are accommodated as best I can. Following Jaeger the new Nicowa collection arrives and running alongside these is the large Falke and new ready to wear Yummie Tummie collection. Heidi Higgins Spring Summer 2011 will be in mid September so it feels like I’m in training for a marathon!

I’m taking time out this week end to go to the fantastic milliner Linda McKay who holds hat making work shops in her gorgeous home in Kilkenny. Chloe, my youngest daughter is coming along too and we will be staying in the gorgeous Ballduff House nearby. This is something that will be totally relaxing and creative and while we all run around like headless chickens it is very important to keep in as relaxed frame of mind as we can manage. I will certainly be trying to stay focused and cool and will let you know how I get on.

Have a fashionable week ahead……

No comments:

Post a Comment